Thursday, January 12, 2012

Crafty 2011

Instead of a post about Colin, I thought i'd do a quick post on things i've made for Colin. I got serious about crafting some projects in November and December of last year in order to give them to him for christmas.

First, I managed to complete his knit stocking to add to our family collection. This is a fair isle pattern that is pretty easy to accomplish, but does take quite a bit of time. It still isn't blocked the best (I tried steam blocking, but that didn't work too well - I'm probably doing it wrong).

I also made Colin a sign for above his crib. I used the laser cutter (century college's fab lab) to cut out the white acrylic sheet background and also the black acrylic border. The letters and animals were created using the vinyl cutter and were modified from images found on the internet. I think it turned out pretty nice and i love it above his crib. (sorry for the glare). C is for crocodile, O is for octopus, L is for lion, I is for iguana and N is for nautilus (did you know there are very few animals that start with N?).

Right now i'm working on a quiet book for him. Bob's aunt made and copyrighted a pattern years ago (http://www.littleducklearning.com/) and they graciously gave me a copy to make. I have one section almost complete and it is taking just as long as I feared it might. It is pretty intricate and as a fairly novice sewer, i'm learning as I go. Ideally I was hoping to have it finished for him by our spring break cruise - but as long as I have a few sections done it will be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment