Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Doctor's visits

We've had a fun week here in CA. Colin had his 2 yr checkup, we had his portraits taken, and I had a midwife appointment. Of course, we have also had some fun, hiking and music class :)

First, Colin's doctor's appointment went pretty well. It was light on the examination bit, more heavy on getting to know the new doc. Since he didn't need any shots, we escaped without any tears. His stats: weight 29 lb 1.6 oz (75%), height (probably inaccurate since he wouldn't stand up straight or still) 2 ft 11 in (65%), and head circumference 19" (52%). Basically doc thinks he looks perfectly healthy and has pretty typical toddler behavior. I specifically asked about his speech since the last pediatrician thought he was a little behind, and this doc seemed to think he's pretty normal. He has ~20 words and several 2 or 3 word phrases, so while he's been a little slow to get to this point, it is pretty typical 2 yr old vocabulary.
Colin, meet Nutella :)
Colin also did very well at his 2 yr photos. For the first time, we made it through the session without any tears or him freaking out about the camera, lights, or photographer. We got a few cute pics (previewed below). It was nice that he was on his best behavior :)
Close up!
Smiley Colin!
My handsome boy
I'm turning 2!
My 28 week appointment was this morning with one of the midwives at Kaiser. Overall, I liked the midwife very well, she took time to listen and asked lots of questions about my previous labor and delivery with Colin, trying to get an idea of what my labor and delivery might be like this time around. After this discussion, she said she'd bet that this next labor doesn't last longer than 12 hours - while that would be great, I'm not going to count on that! Baby K2 had a heartbeat around 150 bpm today and the midwife felt that baby was head down with the bulk towards my right side. Though the way the baby has been flipping around the last week, i'd be surprised if it isn't different tomorrow or even in a few hours. I've gained 3 lbs over the last 3 weeks (since my last checkup) which is right on schedule, but also means that I am officially 20 lbs heavier than I started this pregnancy :P At least my blood pressure is still low and I'm now protected against any positive blood the baby might have with my RhoGAM shot. I also found out that Colin is allowed not only in the hospital for visits, but he could also be present for the birth if we wanted. While I don't think that is a good idea (seriously horrible idea from my perspective), it is nice to know some of the options we have.

I also signed Colin and I up for a music class on Fridays through March as part of his birthday present. We had the first class this past Friday and we had a great time! There are 10 or so other ~ 2 yr olds in the class, and Colin joined right in on grabbing instruments and participating - not singing of course (he's too shy for that) but he enjoyed the movements and noise. He was also the most helpful in putting the instruments back, he does like to help :)

Since I'm attempting to track our hikes on the weekends, I'll add our hike from last weekend when we went to Edgewood Park for a quick hike just before dusk. We only planned on going for short hike as we were losing daylight, so we didn't bring the backpack for Colin, so between his investigating rocks and nature (at a snails pace) and being forced to ride on daddy's shoulders, it was a little challenging since we actually wanted to make it back to the car before deep nightfall. Nonetheless, I'm always happy we go, and it was a good quick hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment