We made it through Colin's first day of day care and through my first day at CSM yesterday! The day care experience was about as good as we could hope for. I dropped both Colin and Bob off, and Bob did the drop off at Colin's room (Colin is less clingy to Bob). Apparently Colin only shed a few tears when Bob left and was able to be distracted by some dramatic play in the play kitchen area with one of the teachers. He ate pretty well at day care (they provide a morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack) and even took a 1 hr nap, which is more than we expected! All the teachers we talked to, including his primary care teacher, said he did really well for his first day, but in general he was sad off and on, and asked for me many times throughout the day.
The teachers also commented on how much he liked to talk, even though much of it they didn't understand. I was surprised by this, only because normally he clams up around those he doesn't know, but apparently he talked fairly non-stop. The teachers also commented that when he woke up from his nap, he just laid on his cot and sang to himself for awhile. He didn't even try to get up until they asked him if he wanted to get up. Silly boy. Guess that is probably due to the fact that he hasn't been in a toddler bed for very long, and that his room is pretty devoid of things to do (on purpose so he doesn't play instead of nap) until we open his closet and toy cabinet, so he tends to just stay in bed playing with his stuffed animals.
Overall, I am relieved that things went pretty well, and while I'm sure we still have plenty of rough transition days ahead, at least he did well with the teachers and other kids his first day. We even got a nice summary of his first day from his primary care teacher along with some photos taken during his day when we picked him up. He doesn't seem too concerned with going back tomorrow, so hopefully he feels that way tomorrow morning!
My first day was also pretty good, but largely spent getting set up. Took over an hour to get me access to the printer, then the code to the copier wouldn't work for my account. Once those issues were resolved, I was able to get to class, and there weren't enough chairs in the classroom. Then I realized that my new laptop doesn't have a VGA connection, so I couldn't show my lecture slides. Oh well, I managed through the day, met the students and had a pretty good class and lab. Not too much left to figure out besides if the VGA adapter I ordered will work and getting wifi connection to the staff/faculty internet.
As a family, we've continued our Saturday hikes. This past weekend we went back to San Bruno mountain and this time went on the eucalyptus and dairy trails. It was a nice walk with some switchbacks on the way up. Now to plan a hike for next weekend!
Yay for a good day for Colin and you! Glad to hear it went well.
ReplyDelete