Friday, January 21, 2011

First time in L&D

Well, had my first visit to labor and delivery yesterday. No, I did not think I was in labor, but I was having some spotting and after 24 hrs of spotting, they want you to get checked out to rule anything serious out. Of course, any bleeding is a little cause for concern (and for making Jes's paranoid), so I made my way to L&D, got hooked up to the monitors and got checked out by a midwife.

We got all good news from this checkup. Baby is doing fine - it was kind of fun to hear his heartbeat for such a long time (30 min at least) and listen to its variability when he was awake and moving around. I also learned that I'm having lots of contractions - but they are not 'real' considering there is no change in my cervix as of yet (no dilation anyway). Guess I really am not that aware of how many contractions I'm having! The bleeding was likely caused by a blood vessel that may have ruptured near my cervix, but was 'old blood' and no cause for concern. It was at least nice to know that my bartholin cyst incision is completely healed and not the cause of the bleeding either. So until my water breaks, contractions get painful and close together, and/or something else dramatic occurs, hopefully that will be my first and last visit to L&D before d-day!

In the meantime, i'm on pelvic rest and just getting my lesson plans etc. in order until this little guy decides it is time to meet his family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment